Green Tips for Retailers
Put these green tips to work at your store:
- Place recycling bins in strategic locations including heavy traffic areas, common work areas and, most importantly, where recyclables are typically generated. To avoid contamination, ensure recycling stations are accompanied by clear, consistent signage.
- Ensure that all store employees are aware of recycling programs and are trained on how to properly recycle. It is important that they are aware of what can or cannot be placed in recycling bins.
- Give your customers the choice to opt-out of plastic shopping bags or encourage shoppers to use their own. Many national retailers charge customers for plastic bags.
- Donate surplus merchandise to charities rather than throwing it in the trash. The recipient organization may be able to provide a tax receipt for donations.
- The largest component of retail waste is packaging. Choose packaging that is recyclable and made with recycled materials and request that vendors provide items without excess packaging.
- Use recycled paper fibre for all marketing and promotional pieces. Aim for a minimum of 30% post-consumer recycled paper. Reduce print materials by availing of online and social media marketing strategies.
- Eliminate the merchant copy of receipts and send sales invoices and receipts via email where possible.
- Stores can reduce disposal costs and sometimes even earn revenue from the sale of separated recyclables.
- Use gift cards and loyalty cards that are made of recycled material.